WordPress is getting better with every update and continues to be a fantastic platform to build your website with. In this article we’re going to go over how to do some of the basic tasks you’ll need to perform to get your website started.
How do I add Pages?
Pages are used for static content that does not need to appear in your website’s blog feed. Pages are used for content such as the “About”, “Services” and “Contact” sections of a website.
Pages are also usually listed in the website’s navigation menu.
Let’s say you want an “About Me” page on your websites.
- Log in to the dashboard of your WordPress website.
- Click on Pages > Add New in the sidebar.
- Once clicked you’ll see the “Add New Page” screen with some empty fields. Give the new page a title and add the page content (text, images, videos) to the large content editor.
- Click the “Publish” button to save the page and make the new page accessible to visitors.
The new page has now been created but needs to be added to your website’s navigation menu so that it can be easily found by your website’s visitors. We’ll look at how to do that later in this part of the guide.
How do I add Posts?
Unlike pages, posts appear in your website’s blog feed (usually) in reverse chronological order (newest post first). Posts can be further organised into topics by assigning them to Categories and adding Tags.
Posts are created by clicking Posts > Add New in the dashboard sidebar and filling in the fields on the Add New Post screen. Once a post has been created it will appear at the top of your blog page as the newest post.
How do I add a navigation menu?
WordPress allows you to create menus using a drag and drop menu editor and assign the menus to a location specified by the theme you are using. Most themes will at least allow one main navigation menu but some will go further and give you the option of adding menus to sidebars, the website footer and more.
To create a menu:
- In the admin dashboard go to Appearance > Menus.
- Type the name of your menu in the “Menu Name” text box.
- Select the menu items you want to add to your menu from the column on the left. The menu items are separated by item type (page, post, custom link, categories, etc).
- Menu items can be reordered by dragging them up and down the “Menu Structure” list and set as a child of another menu item by dragging the child menu item over the parent menu item until it indents.
- To save the menu click the “Create Menu” button.
- The menu can now be added to any theme location. Scroll to the bottom of the page to the Menu Settings section. Here you’ll find the available Theme Locations listed as check boxes. Select the locations you want the menu to appear in and then click the Save Menu button.
How do I set the homepage?
By default, the homepage of your WordPress website is set to show the main blog page. It is possible to change the homepage to a different static Page by going to Settings > Reading.
On the Settings > Reading screen set the “Front Page Displays” option to “A static page” and set the Front Page drop-down selection to the page you want as the homepage and the Posts Page drop-down selection to the page you want to use as your main blog page. Don’t forget to click the “Save Changes” button at the bottom of the screen.
How do I add widgets to the sidebar?
Most WordPress themes include at least one sidebar. A sidebar is a section on the page that displays widgets separate from the main content. Depending on which theme you are using there could be multiple designated sidebars.
The way sidebars (and the widgets they contain) can differ depending on the theme you are using.
To add widgets to Sidebars go to Appearance > Widgets. Here you will see a list of all the available widgets on the left and all the available Sidebars on the right. To add a widget to a sidebar simply drag the widget onto the sidebar. Most widgets include settings that can be configured to your liking.
WordPress comes with several default widgets but more widgets can be added by through plugins.
Where can I find great images, video and music for my website?
For your site to look it’s best your going to need to jazz it up a bit with some great images and videos.
You can find professional quality media on Photodune, VideoHive and GraphicRiver (all Envato marketplaces just like Themeforest). There’s a massive selection of thousands of image and video – all top quality and reasonably priced.